Our historic building marker program began in 1983 and since then we have identified many residential, commercial, and civic buildings as being important to the history of Pawtucket.
The program objectives are:
- To identify and recognize historically and architecturally significant structures
- To raise public awareness of, and appreciation for, said structures
- To encourage historically sensitive changes to existing structures in the City of Pawtucket
This is a voluntary program which does not carry any regulations or restrictions. Though historically appropriate materials and features do contribute to the overall eligibility of a building, they are not the only qualifying factors. The marker recognizes a building’s significance; it does not determine eligibility for the local historic district (which is managed by the City’s Historic District Commission).
Any building or structure located in the City that contributes to the architectural or historic character of the City will be considered. The exterior of all structures reviewed by the Committee for recognition will be evaluated by the following criteria:
- Historical Relevance – connection to an historical event, person, or to an economic, social, or cultural trend in Pawtucket
- Date of Construction
- Architectural Significance and Integrity
- Possibility of Jeopardy – whether the property or structure is threatened by neglect, environmental factors, vandalism, or demolition
- Contribution to the Neighborhood
There is no charge to apply. If eligible, the cost of the marker is $200. Download the application here.
14 inches wide, aluminum cast
Most Recent Marker Properties
614 East Avenue
J. Stewart and Lillie Cumming House
Stewart Cumming was President and Director of Colonial Laundries on Pawtucket Avenue. He was elected to the Pawtucket city council in 1907. He purchased this lot from the Oak Hill Land Company in 1916 and built the house. It was purchased in 1925 by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph M. Giuttari. Joseph was manager of several mills, such as the Plush Mills and Rochambeau Worsted, and he later established Lyon Fabrics. Joseph’s wife Vanna ran her own dress making and fabric shop as an extension of her husband’s business. The house was then sold in 1940 to the Jeremiah Family and in 1980 to the McKittricks. We are very happy that the new owners of this house are celebrating and preserving its historical value.